Sunday, January 22, 2012

Detail By the Mile

When working on an area, I always think, "how far should I give in this level of detail?". I'm sure you do too.

To that, there is truly no definitive answer. The density of the area is one of the largest variable factors. Also, the rule of thumb is automatically cancelled out in the presence of a spur, crossing line, or other forms of rail of equal or similar importance.

Another big variable is the presence of large river bridges. Hence, my query to self of course comes from the Palm River bridge in Tampa, FL. I am working down the Tampa Terminal/Palmetto Sub towards Gibsonton and I am laying details around the corridor. Coming to the Palm River I realize the brush needs to expand outwards, beyond what I consider reasonable for a given land area.

Texturing obviously is not the problem, as you can have various strokes, but scenery assets and splines are.

But, my guideline is as follows:


  • First 50 feet on each side: FULL detail. Grass, garbage, power lines, derelict items, etc. Cars for sure, as the object itself and not the general spline. Roads get their signs and light poles and mailboxes and etc.Buildings and waterways to full detail. 
  • Next 250 feet: Good Detail. Roads can get signage, light poles, etc. and the occasional detail. Foliage is a little less significant, and the splines can begin. Buildings can begin to be splined, or repeated, or whatnot, but they have to be visually appealing. If a road is a track-laid chasing corridor, I can give leeway to it. 
  • Next 500 feet: OK detail. Roads there, lightpoles only. Traffic lights may either be set to work or just the simple assets (ie. Traffic Signal 02). Grass details are out of the picture, but trees that will be visible well stay. Tree assets become splines. Water is just water & texture. Nothng else. Only if it's visible I may add a boat. Buildings spline or low detail. Texture becomes less sensitive.
  • Next 4,000 feet: Low detail. Just buildings if visible and tree splines. Water and texture only, no ifs, ands or buts. Roads just road, no detail on intersection. Texture becomes even less sensitive, in "blocks"
  • To the edge of the board: just texture. Very low sensitivity. Only if a skyscraper or landmark is ever visible, I add it.
I use this rough guideline to help me with FPS, since it isn't like candy on my machine. Of course this leaves me to upgrade my Graphics. I hope it decisively helps people too. Keep Draw Distance 3,000 yd (9000 ft) more or less and use good weather fog, too to lower the lag as well. So maybe I won't add anything beyond US 41 in the Palm River case.

No comments:

Post a Comment