Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Going in Hyper-drive - Rockport

Rockport is a phosphate yard and shipping port. I am beginning to model the area, but in only two days (totaling 5 hours of work) finished the wye and the N corner of the US 41 crossing, as well as many other touch ups around the route area. Wow.


This would be an aerial over the S Leg of the Rockport Wye.


This speedy return to the route is in part due to my interest in returning to the Miami Sub. However, I want to get this finished and out of the way. There's no deadline but I have picked up more of a feel for the route that allowed me to weigh in which areas get the most detail, where simple is effective, and which areas are just cover splines and textures. I feel if I give in one day to detail followed by one day of slappy texturing (miles away from the ROW) it is a systematic way to get the route done faster, and the detail is not compromised.

For instance, I began putting one block of grass texture at 618/US 301. That area is 1.5 miles from the S-line... Do I need to terraform the bridge? No. Do I need to detail the buildings? Not likely. That's where there's balance; getting rid of the LOD that does nothing but lag the game. Having the buildings for about .75 miles is good, when it's industrial park dense. Of course there can be exception when a skyline is separated by 1 mile of water and the track happens to be in eyeshot of the towers.

Anyway more progress should follow as the weekend approaches, but it'll be a little slower as I have a Fairchild competition for Debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment