Friday, April 6, 2012

History in Trainz

Trainz's TIGER and HOG mapping utilities happened to have caught the old trackage seen in areas, namely that of Fort Lauderdale by the airport. Of course, me knowing the area quite well, I know today things do not run as "Drawn". So these are my improvisations:

On the CSX Side:
 On the FEC side:

What I do like about this, amid the possible inaccuracy from how far away your track is from reality, is that it is a great history lesson. You look at the I and you can pinpoint that the tracks were rerouted around something. This is really easy to notice on the FEC as old roadbed is visible from Griffin Road. It is also interesting to learn how one service road was built on the FEC tracks. But what I found a bit more surprising was the CSX tracks being curved around. Yet looking at Google Maps, it made sense. I think the old 1980s video on Tri-Rail had a more straight pass through there anyway.

Either way, as I model this, more discoveries await.

No comments:

Post a Comment