Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lakeland v2.0: The Look South

When I caught Q453-19 last Saturday I noticed a very cool view. Going south on Kathleen as the road snakes next to the Vitis Sub, you're actually at the crest of the infamous hill that caused trains-a-many to stall. You could undoubtedly see past the US 92 overpass, especially how the tracks go low and low. I believe from my sources that this is a 0.9% gradient.

Trainz routebuilding does not start off with a DEM unless you choose. Allen helped me out by providing DEMs under a deal that I do the artwork on them. To make them you'd have to have a program, Ie. Microdem or TransDEM (better but 30 bones), and then you'll be able to do up a GND file with TOPO data using something like the HOG program.

The Miami Sub was converted to a Microdem DEM in December 10, which has me mixed due to the infamous problem of misalignment. However this is a straight up, perfect Transdem.

You will not be able to stall Q604, trust me, without this.


I wonder if the adventurous filmer will attempt to film a train from this angle. Note you can see my WIP George Jenkins Blvd. overpass in the distance. As posted I appreciate the google earth update for allowing the most accurate do possible of this bridge. The USGS data was entered well before this bridge came to exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment